Friday, December 24, 2010

Rome's squatter camps

When I went to the Questura two weeks ago as part of my immigration obligation for living in Italy I was shocked to see something very unexpected in a developed country, a real life, squatter camp. I found it even stranger that it was across from the Questura which is a federal police headquarters.

A few days ago my friend had to go to the Questura for his appointment so i decided to go with him, he has had problems in Rome already so I figured that a little company could only help the situation. This time I remembered to bring my camera, it is hard to see because of the angles but that is definitely a squatter camp, or an informal settlement as it is also called. I suspect that the people who live there are Roma, a nomadic group of people who I am told were once part o the lowest rank in the Indian caste system. They were expelled from India and ever since have been roaming Europe.

It makes me sad to see so much wealth in this country and then see people living in this way. The smell of burning garbage in the air reminded me of Thembalethu. I am told that there is a much larger settlement in another area of Rome, perhaps I might pay it a visit at some point.




No comments:

Post a Comment