Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Gcinisizwe

I am certainly not naive enough to expect to marry a poor African man and still have an easy life, a exceptional, amazing life yes, but not easy. It appears that racism has reared it's ugly head again and this time at the Italian Embassy in Cape Town. Now to be clear I am not sure if it is due to race or wealth, but discrimination of some sort is playing a role in the latest developments.

A few days ago Gcinisizwe received a call from the embassy asking him to come to Cape Town, a 6 hour bus ride away which will cost Gcinisizwe a weeks pay. I emailed them to see what the latest news was, perhaps they wanted to meet him for a personal interview? I was shocked and heart broken to learn that in fact they do not want an interview, they want him to come all the way to Cape Town to sign a form saying that his visa was declined and that he needs to pick up his passport...... say what?

I investigated this matter and was forwarded to the woman who made the final decision. I could not understand it, he is my husband, I am here legally for school and I applied for a tourist visa for him to visit me during a short period of my stay. I provided all of the necessary materials that they asked for and in addition provided them with a multitude of supporting documents to prove that our love is real ie: newspaper articles, magazine articles etc.

So what could their reason possibly be to decline him? We did not satisfy them with 100% certainty that he would return to South Africa after his visa expires......Now I want you to think about that for a moment. How is it possible to prove such a thing unless you are in fact psychic? Who is to say that I will leave when my visa is finished, or anyone else that I know?

Their reason is one that I heard once before coming from the Canadian Embassy in South Africa (an office which like the Italian embassy is staffed by South Africans). To me this is a loop hole that they use in order to perpetuate racism and discrimination.

I even offered to pay a guarantee so that if he does not return I will lose my money, they said that once the decision is made they cannot reverse it. My only option now is to endure the horrific bureaucracy of the Roman appeals court. I am on my way there this morning. Being that I am not fluent in Italian I will need to bring a translator with me. I am so disappointed with humanity. Some woman sitting in her fancy office, with just a stroke of a pen, has made it so that I cannot see my husband for at least another year. All because he is poor and black. Way to keep the poor man poor.

3 comments:

  1. Oh Catherine! What a blow. Thinking of you.

    Valerie - African Threads

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think that Brett Wilson or Mary Walsh need's the $10K as much as your charity. I will start an appeal on my facebook and see if I can personally do a little better than the $10 you have asked for. I nominated you as the first compelling example I could think of when this award came out. I am a little disappointed to see who came up as the top 10, although everyone doing something for change is worthy.

    I can't support enough the message of your work--everyone can do something. Even when it is hard. Even when you start with little to work with. We can't individually save the world, but we can each individually do something to better it.

    With the massive consumerism of Christmas coming, it is more important than ever to loosen the wallet for something meaningful.

    I'll pledge $10 for every stocking I stuff. That's a start.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is terrible! I am heart broken for you. We are struggling right now with racial issues trying to adopt our 4th child. It has been a difficult journey only because we are white and she is black. It is so unfair! What is happening to you is unfair too. I think you should start an online petition and have it forwarded to the Embassy. You could obtain online signatures from all across the world, I know I'll certainly be there to support you. Good luck Catherine, you certainly don't deserve this blow.

    ReplyDelete