Thursday, November 11, 2010

And then heaven fell upon me


Every now and then in life you can actually witness yourself enjoying something so much that you end up getting a face cramp from smiling too much, for me this experience took place at a shop in Testaccio called Volpetti. My fabulous American room mate, Jill, and I waltzed into Volpetti one afternoon after shopping for our supper at the Testaccio Market. I should note that Testaccio is known for it's authentic Roman cuisine.

Due to the lack of smell-o-vision technology let me set up this scene for you. We actually noticed the smell before the shop, my nose lifted into the air when I caught my first whiff of fresh cheeses coming from the shop door as another patron exited. I grabbed Jill and dashed inside. As soon as we walked in we were greeted by a man smiling from ear to ear who said something lovely in Italian but I am not entirely sure what it was so I smiled back and said Buon Giorno!


Black Truffles

Inside was paradise!!! Floor to ceiling cheese, sliced fancy meats, sun-dried tomatoes and of course the fabulous truffles that Italy is famous for, only 369 Euro per kilo....Actually, we have a new best friend who works there, he filled us with tasty delectable samples of cheeses etc. He disappeared into the magic land of the "back room" and brought us out a basket of white truffles, only 6200 Euro per kilo, I hope we don't get a bill just for smelling them! 

I left the store with fresh sun-dried tomatoes and a huge smile on my face. Jill took home a fabulous Parmesan cheese made from the milk of red cows, so sweet, so amazing.



One of the many counters filled with goodies


No comments:

Post a Comment