Tuesday, October 26, 2010

A tiny piece of my thoughts

I wrote this in a message today, I thought I would share it with you....

Last week was particularly difficult for me, as I walked down cobble stone roads with people enjoying pizza and gelato all around me my husband and his family were going 4 days in a row without food due to the unexpected death of his brother. At one time there were 10 children, now just 3, he being the oldest now at the age of 31...Life is so unfair at times.

I continue to fund raise for the Themba Development Project while I am here, and I have a small dedicated group of volunteers in Halifax who help me. My work continues, but so much of me wishes I was still on the ground in Thembalethu listening to all the dogs barking, smelling the burning garbage, my hands sore from a morning of hand washing my clothing.....Rome may be paradise for some, but for me, my heart needs something more.

Surrounded by love in the tiny village of Nqiningana. My grandmother-in-law is on the far left, at the back is my aunt-in-law holding her grandson. The ladies in this picture gave me my Xhosa name,
Sandise (San-dee-say) which in Xhosa means "strength of the community"

No comments:

Post a Comment