Tuesday, October 26, 2010

My new apartment

Let me tell you about apartments in Italy....everyone tells you that there are plenty to choose from, but in reality it is a bit more complicated. After months looking for a room I finally found one just 2 days before my departure, I was so happy to hear that the landlord (who owns a rental agency I might add) even offered to pick me up at the airport. I was so happy to hear about this since I was arriving in Rome after a 15 hour flight with more luggage than I was accustomed to, 2 large bags, a carry on and a laptop, not exactly ideal for taking the subway (called the Metro in Rome).

So I arrive in Rome in the morning, I happily retrieve my luggage and head outside to the arrivals section, no landlord, after 2 hours of frantically searching and calling his cell it becomes apparent that he is not coming....
Being that I had a meeting at the school I was forced to spend 65 Euro on a taxi so I wouldn't be late. Upon arrival I emailed the landlord who tells me rather matter of fact that he waited for me (liar) and that he has since rented out my room.....Welcome to Rome.....

Luckily for me an angel named Sevda rescued me. Sevda is an amazing woman from last year's Masters program. She had emailed me a few days prior to say that if I needed anything to contact her, so that is exactly what I did. Sevda met me at the metro and helped me carry all my luggage to her apartment nearby. She made me feel so at home and welcomed me to stay as long as I liked, she appreciated the company, and I appreciated the kindness and the friendship in this new city.

Turns out however that her landlord was less than friendly and made it very clear that he wanted me out, and now! So after three weeks of searching I found an amazing apartment and a room to call my own. The best part is that it is a 5 minute walk from university, I can afford it and I am allowed to share the room with Gcinisizwe when he comes for a visit!! I didn't think I would ever find a place, and this is a little piece of heaven!

I share the apartment with my Italian landlord (who is lovely), and two very sweet ladies, one Italian and one American. I am really looking forward to getting to know them.

This apartment has a gigantic kitchen, a wrap around balcony, tons of windows and my room has a door onto the balcony (one of the many doors!). Here are some photos for you:

The entrance, door to the right, kitchen ahead, and look, color!!!

The common area, this entire wall is windows facing south!

The fabulous and large kitchen, there are TWO doors to the balcony too! I cannot wait to use that oven!

My bedroom with a lovely wardrobe, notice the door to the balcony!

Another bedroom picture, and yes, I brought my rubber boots to Rome, they are well traveled!

View 1 from my balcony

View 2, notice the beautiful church, they play music to tell us the time!

View 3, it was raining as you can see. Just above the pine trees is my university!

2 comments:

  1. By the way, it was overcast and raining when I took these photos so you cannot really see how sunny the apartment is, you can use your imagination :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So happy you found such an amazing little spot Catherine. It's wonderful that things finally fell into place for you. I hope you are having a fabulous time learning in Rome, the culture must be amazing!

    ReplyDelete