Thursday, October 28, 2010

Ok, I am Canadian...

At the risk of completely embarrassing myself I am choosing to tell a story of my first Italian bathroom experience. Close your eyes and picture it is the year 2003, Catherine Robar journeys out into the world for the first time without her family's protection...


I arrive in Italy and checked into my hostel in the very posh city of Milano. Much to my excitement there is a new piece of bathroom furnishing that I have not seen before. I think to myself "how kind of them to install a device that makes clothing hand-washing so easy!". After 30 minutes I come out of the washroom with all of my laundry completed, another euro saved by me taking the initiative to wash my own clothes.


Skip forward to 2010 when I once again find myself in Italy. It is brought to my attention that this is not actually a clothes washing device, but a Bidet, Wikipedia describes it best as "bidet is a low-mounted plumbing fixture or type of sink intended for washing the genitalia, inner buttocks, and anus." 


Oh My God.....not exactly what I was thinking when I washed my socks in there not long ago.....



Just your average toilet


The bidet, see Wikipedia description....ughhh.....

1 comment:

  1. Oh Catherine! What a funny story! Ugh indeed. Here's to many more cultural adventures :)

    ReplyDelete