Sunday, March 27, 2011

The epicentre of amazing

Well I thought I knew what good gelato was until Jill and I went for a walk in the centre of Rome this evening and stopped at THE best gelateria in all of Rome. The place was crazy, and I mean like ridiculously packed to the point that you swear there must have been 3 buses parked outside in the tiny street where all these people would maybe return after placing their order.

But really though, it is like this all the time in this gelateria because it is the best gelato in Rome! There were two very long counters with every possible flavor that you could ever want and a mosh pit style line to get to the front to place your order.

One third of the gelato counter, there were easily 150
people waiting, despite that the "line" moves quickly!
Italians take gelato very seriously and as a result the staff at this place were dressed to the nine's in their flawless white uniforms, taking orders like they could do it in their sleep. Jill made her way to the front while I held our bags in the back, waiting to provide support when the sweet tasty prize was won. I ordered a cone with three flavors, mint, dark chocolate and nut. As we walked down the tiny ancient alleys eating our icecream I actually at one point stopped walking and leaned against a building so that I could have a special moment with my new tasty friend. I contemplated for a moment going to the court to get a divorce so that I could return and marry my gelato, but when I thought about it further I thought that perhaps it might be difficult to explain in Italian why I was divorcing my lovely Gcinisizwe for the sake of gelato. I am sure the magistrate of course would understand if they ever tried these flavors.


Then of course, in typical magic Roman style we are walking down the alley when all of a sudden this epic pipe organ music begins playing. Inside of an exquisite roman catholic church is a private concert to celebrate the 100th anniversary of the composers death. Don't worry so much about the picture, just close your eyes and enjoy the music.

No comments:

Post a Comment